Lessons from inside the classroom
- Focus on academic knowledge.
- Reiterate discipline.
- Emphasize skill building.
- Prepare students for future work.
- Require active listening and attention.
- Often follow traditional processes.
Lessons from outside the classroom
- Teach cultural awareness, understanding and respect for diverse populations.
- Foster new and deeper connections with other students.
- Form and grow relationships that didn’t once exist.
- Are more engaging and immediately applied.
- Build self-confidence.
- Promote greater critical thinking.
- Require self-awareness and an open mind.
- Provide opportunities to excel to those who don’t naturally thrive in a classroom setting.
- Offer immersive stimulation.
- Introduce students to real-world challenges and possible solutions.